
I want to summarize some of the information I found in the 2008 edition of the Church Almanac...
LDS missionaries first came to India in 1851.
The first official branches were organized in Hyderabad and Coimbatore in 1980, other branches including one in Bangalore were formed in 1984.
At least portions of the Book of Mormon are available in the languages of Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, and Bengali.
The India Bangalore Mission was created in January 1993. The foreign missionaries were asked to leave in 1995, the Church complied and reassigned fifty two missionaries to other missions. A small number of non-Indian missionaries were allowed to enter the country in 1998.
According to the LDS Church's official country profile for India there are currently 7,008 members, in twenty six congregations, under two missions.
After doing a little math, I determined that one in 163,812 people in India is currently a member of the Church.
Hmm, fascinating....and where did you get that 2008 Church Almanac, I wonder?
ReplyDeleteI read a page from the Book of Mormon in Telugu. It was a literal word-to-word translation.
ReplyDelete:(