Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Last Minute...


I just finished packing my two big suitcases, and I'll be leaving for the airport in a little over an hour. Before I embark, I want to provide a little context for this internship:
Prior to being accepted, I tried very hard to find out about this opportunity. I talked about it with Dr. Harb while I was with him in China, I asked the two Indian alumni who came and gave a big presentation last fall semester, I even looked for alternative internships in India and tried to establish contacts so that I could do it this summer.
I am lucky that there were so many people willing to help with this experience. I imagine that if I had had to get my visa, additional passport pages, and housing, on my own, I might have given up.
Once I found out that I was accepted, I went to the county health department to get shots. Lucky for me, I was up to date on all of them, and I was able to get some simple advice about anti-malaria drugs. I will be taking doxycycline while I am over there, as well as my first four weeks back.
I spent a lot of time on the internet learning about potential dangers in India. This scared me quite a bit, especially when swine-flu seemed to guarantee panic while I was over there. I am now feeling more at peace. My Mom gave me some great advice: "Read your scriptures everyday so that you can qualify for the guidance of the Spirit".
I am very excited to intern! I think that this is a chance for me to show people that I can thrive, not just survive, in a multi-cultural, teamwork oriented environment. I hope to absorb how a business runs, how projects get approved, and how politics affect life in the office.
India is going to be an adventure. Our home and workplace might feel like America, but in-between probably won't. I want to see breathtaking sights, eat delicious food, and smell horrible smells.
Finally, I am so excited to have the opportunity to participate in the church abroad. I want to make friendships that can last longer than the internship, and invite others to come unto Christ.

1 comment:

  1. hey robby... send me an email... keep me updated... i'll be checking this blog anyway...

    ReplyDelete