
Saturday was a terrific day. Work, homework and other activities had me pretty excited about life. My girlfriend and I headed to a tumbling gym called Jump On It (I had a 2 for 1 pass). We had a couple of birthday parties in front of us to waiting for wristbands, so I had plenty of time to initial the safety waver in all seven places.
It took me some time to get used to the matrix of trampolines. We both had a few rough encounters with the frames. It also took me a while to get used to the little children, whose parents were either not there, or oblivious to the clear and present danger of people taller than four feet.
As people I knew started to show up, the temptation to show-off grew stronger. I was bouncing pretty high from trampoline to trampoline, when I misjudged someone else's bounce. We both ended up in the same depression and my foot flipped upside down while making a loud popping noise. I fell to a sitting position and nervously shook my now gelatin ankle back and forth, hoping it wasn't broken. I felt it start to swell up and instinctively hopped on my good foot towards the exit of the trampoline area. I didn't make it too far and a couple guys there carried me boy-scout style off of the trampolines. The faces of the other patrons let me know that my ankle didn't look to good.
I felt a bit overwhelmed as a bunch of people gathered around me, but they helped me figure out insurance information and gathered my belongings. I started feeling woozy and I was lowered down to the cool cement ground. Before we left I was able to receive a blessing from the two guys who had boy-scout carried me.
Later at Timpanogos Hospital, my leg was put into a splint and lots of people came to visit. I got half a candy bar from my girlfriend's dad, burritos and a milkshake from the double date that had been so helpful, and free crutches from the hospital.
I'm so grateful for all of the people who have helped take care of me, and all for the people who have and will open doors as I try to keep my free crutches from destroying my tabernacle of flesh.
You are a good writer- I felt like I was right there with you, oh wait...I WAS! No, really though, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. P.S. My dad said it was a whole candy bar, or that it was the size of a whole one because the package had two normal size candy bars in it. Just FYI ;-)
ReplyDelete