Three months ago I thought I was headed to one of the hottest places on earth. I should have done my research because it has felt like a perpetual spring here with high temperatures averaging in the low 80's.
Three months ago I was terrified of contracting the swine flu in India. Since I have been here my sister and my girlfriend (who were both in the U.S.) have gotten it, but the panic I anticipated here is yet to materialize (knock on wood).
Three months ago I anticipated eating delicious food and smelling horrible smells. With a few notable exceptions, neither of those experiences have been too frequent.
Three months ago I imagined myself communicating using equal measures of sign-language and English. Instead, I have been very impressed with the language capabilities of people in Bangalore. Most people can speak over four languages, and even the rickshaw drivers can carry on a conversation in English.
Other surprises include: the modesty of the Indian women, the disappointment of transportation, the self-organizing chaos, the lack of foreigners, the number of nuclear families, the high motivation of the educated, the general lack of alcohol, and the near omni-presence of religion.
No comments:
Post a Comment