Saturday, February 7, 2009

Graduate School

I received an email a while ago inviting me to an information session on the Keck Graduate Institute. One of the lines that caught my eye was: In lieu of a traditional master’s research thesis, students participate in the Team Masters Project, which is a year-long consulting project that draws from all areas of the curriculum. My interest had been sparked, and I added the information session to my Google Calendar.
The presentation given was terrific. I understood that there is a bottleneck in the bio-tech industry: a lack of science-savvy leaders. He described a need for a hybrid manager/engineer who can understand both the business and the nitty-gritty science. This is perfect because I do not want to be staring at schematics for the rest of my life, yet, I want to use the analytical skills I have so painfully earned.
I desire to have my work make a difference in peoples lives, to both the people whom I work with directly, and the end users of whatever product is made. I desire, somewhat selfishly, to be irreplaceable in a company. This information session reassured me that there are jobs (beyond my current one) out there that could be very fulfilling to me.

3 comments:

  1. So what types of things would you be doing for a job? You sound really smart! What are you going to add to your blog? What is its purpose?
    Love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool cool! can't really understand it though, too hard of a vocabulary...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My magic 8 ball says: All your dreams will come true. Oh wait, sorry, it was tilted. Ask again later.

    ReplyDelete